In a previous post, I asked what the most common developmental disability was. Most say it was autism, but… the most common developmental disorder is Mental Retardation, also known as intellectual disability.
Intellectual disability is a developmental disorder that affects individuals under the age of 18, mostly from childhood to adolescents.
There are four known levels of intellectual disability:
- IQ score between 50-75
- Academic skills in a sixth-grade level
- IQ score between 35-55
- Are able to live on their own with some kind of supervision
- IQ score between 20-40
- Master in basic self-care skills
- Able to live in a group home
- IQ score under 20-25
- Disability comes with a neurological disorder
- High-level of supervision
For more information, visit: http://www.healthofchildren.com/M/Mental-Retardation.html