After putting up videos of two people with DID but opposite alters, one with all nice personalities, and one with one mean and a few others who are a little testy. I was interested to see the different facts and statistics on DID. Let me know what you think!
- Dissociation is present in all races but is more common in American children.
- Females experience more childhood abuse than males at a ratio of 10:1 and thus more females suffer from DID.
- However, more males who have been abused may experience pathological dissociation.
- Dissociative identity disorder is typically caused by trauma occurring at less than nine years of age.
- Early age of abuse onset predicts a greater degree of dissociation.
- The average number of alternate personalities a person with DID has is between eight and 13, but there have been cases reported of more than 100 personalities within one individual.
Another statistic about dissociative identity disorder is that dissociative disorders were seen in 17.2% of a large inpatient group seeking treatment for substance abuse.
p.s this article also gives facts on the treatment that someone with DID goes through which is also pretty interesting